This is a tradition meal in Pare region (Northern East of Tanzania). Can be served with meat, fish, avocados or simply a salad.
8 oz beans - soaked overnight
8 oz white corn - soaked overnight
1 Tbs butter or vegetable oil
Coconut milk (option)
Salt and pepper - to taste
1. Place corns in a pot (heavy pot or if you have a clay cooking pot is even better (Chungu)). Cover and boil rapidly for 30 to 45 minutes. Longer if you didn't soak overnight.
2. Drain the beans and add. Keep boiling and add more water if necessary but do not stir.
3. Reduce the heat and continue boiling for about 1 hour or until the beans are tender.
4. Add coconut milk, oil and salt and simmer for 15 minutes more. After you add coconut stirring occasionally.
5. Adjust the seasoning and spoon into a warmed serving dish.