- one-half teaspoon cumin seeds
- one-half teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- several whole cloves ("cloves" not "cloves of garlic")
- one cinnamon stick (or a few pinches ground cinnamon)
- a few cardamom pods (or a few pinches ground cardamom)
- oil for frying
- several cloves of garlic
- two teaspoons fresh ginger
- three cups of rice (uncooked)
- one big onions, chopped
- one to two pounds of meat (beef, chicken, mutton, fish, shrimp, or prawns), cut into bite-sized pieces
- two to four potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
To make sure you get lovely fluffy rice, wash it in several changes of cold water, then leave to soak for about 30 minutes in fresh cold water. If you don't have time for this, place in a sieve and wash under the cold tap for a minute or so.
Heat oil in deep pot. fry onions until clear.stir. Add garlic and ginger. Continue stirring and frying until the flavors have mixed. It should develop a nice aroma. Add all the spices and stir for two to three minutes make sure you don't burn it.
Add the meat, stir and cook over high heat until meat is browned on the outside. Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes. Remove the meat ( this is when you use tender chicken) and most of the onions, and set them aside. Add potatoes and stir it thoroughly until they are golden brown and remove, and set aside.
Add water bring to boil, add the rice and stir until thoroughly once. Let it cook or until the water is down.
Add the meat and potatoes back stir it and cover with a tight-fitting lid. If the lid isn't very tight, cover the pan with aluminum foil before putting the lid on.
Turn the heat down low and leave to cook for 10 to 20 minutes before turning off the heat.